*I am not a certified yoga instructor. These yoga poses are just my opinion always consult a physician before starting any new workout routine
It’s a no-brainer that a surfer should stretch before a surf session, and what I have learned from my surf buddies is that everyone has their own routine. Some surfers stretch at the beach, others stretch at home, and some surfers don’t stretch at all. I often receive questions about my routine, so I thought I would share what I do before a surf session.
What is unique about my stretching routine is it’s all yoga. I find that the yoga sequences prepare me mentally and physically for a great surf session. I usually start my yoga before I hit the beach and put on that heavy wetsuit. I start with Sun Salutation B, and here is a step by step guide from Yoga Outlet:
1. Standing Mountain Pose — Tadasana
2. Chair Pose — Utkatasana
3. Standing Forward Fold — Uttanasana
4. Half Standing Forward Fold — Ardha Uttanasana
5. Four-Limbed Staff Pose — Chaturanga Dandasana
6. Upward-Facing Dog Pose — Urdhva Mukha Svanasana
7. Downward-Facing Dog Pose — Adho Mukha Svanasana
8. Warrior I, Right Foot — Virabhadrasana I
9. Four-Limbed Staff Pose — Chaturanga Dandasana
10. Upward-Facing Dog Pose — Urdhva Mukha Svanasana
11. Downward-Facing Dog Pose — Adho Mukha Svanasana
12. Warrior I, Left Foot — Virabhadrasana I
13. Four-Limbed Staff Pose — Chaturanga Dandasana
14. Upward-Facing Dog Pose — Urdhva Mukha Svanasana
15. Downward-Facing Dog Pose — Adho Mukha Svanasana
16. Half Standing Forward Fold — Ardha Uttanasana
17. Standing Forward Fold — Uttanasana
18. Chair Pose — Utkatasana
19. Mountain Pose — Tadasana
I repeat this sequence 3-5 times. Now, I’m ready to hit the beach, but the yoga doesn’t stop. If you are a surfer who requires a wetsuit, you know how heavy they can be. I have a 4/3 Ripcurl Flashbomb wetsuit (which I love), but it does require me to stretch before surfing.
After I get onto the beach, wetsuit on, Paragon surfboard next to me, it’s time to start my yoga poses for my shoulders. Now, if you have been following my blog, you know that my shoulders are extremely tight so I need a little extra stretching in the shoulder and back. I always practice Dolphin, Thread the Needle, and 8-Point before surfing. Shape.com has excellent video clips of the shoulder openers I practice on the beach, so click here to see these poses.
Readers, what stretches or yoga poses do you love before a workout? I would love to know!
Follow me on Instagram and Twitter @Scrappyyoga!